Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Celestial Assiniboine by ccollacott


Yes, I know, another shot of Assiniboine ;). It is, however, one of a kind view, and probably one of my favorite places in BC. This is a composite of 36 images: two rows (ground) @ 70mm and the sky @ 24mm, then blended panoramic style into a single image. Since I used the Canon 5DSR, you can imagine that the details are incredible.The file is about 11GB in size! If you want to see some zoomed in shots to show the detail, I have posted them in comments on my facebook post.. click here to see those (you should!!) http://on.fb.me/1RdQN0q I've been asked many times why I bother with all the work of getting such massive resolution - what is the point of it all? Well, in this case, for this image, it is for fun ;). I actually enjoy the process and challenge. For many of my other images, and especially the cityscape images, it is because my main source of revenue is the sales of prints. I'm lucky in my little corner of the world, as I'm able to sell 200->500 prints per month on average, and mostly 4 to 6 feet wide prints - so they are pretty big. When printed at that size and even larger - megapixels actually mean something in terms of detail and clarity. If you put a single shot at 6 feet wide next to a multi-row panoramic composite - the pano will blow the single shot away in terms of detail. Some may argue that most people stand 5 feet away from a print on the wall, so that much detail does not matter. I know for a fact, however, people actually always go right up to it, and look at it even from several inches. So this is why almost all my work is done in multi-row pano style. Mostly because I enjoy the process, and also, as a bonus, it helps when selling prints, as the detail blows people away. And with all that, i can do what I love to do full time (I worked in the IT industry for 17 years until I quit in 2012 to go full time photog). This was taken on a workshop/tour I co-led with One of a Kind Photography. We will be returning again in Sept 2016 so if you want to join in, keep posted as details will be out at the end of Oct!! via 500px

No comments:

Post a Comment